Sunday, February 5, 2012

How I Got Here

I first took a sewing class when I was 11 as a part of the local 4H organization. My mother didn't really enjoy sewing, and that ambivalence sort of rubbed off on me. I made the two dresses for my required projects and then never sewed again, until...

Last year sometime, while knitting with friends, I mentioned that I'd like to learn how to sew. I figured it would be an interesting side thing to know, but I really didn't expect much to come of it. A woman in my knitting group, CP, is an amazing seamstress. I won't share any details, because she is a private person, but I will say that she has pretty much been sewing her entire life. And it shows. She volunteered to teach me at her home. I couldn't believe my luck! She took me to Jo~Ann's to get some supplies, and we set up a date to begin.

I lugged my ~50 pound, green Adler sewing machine to CP's house for my first lesson. The machine is mechanical and older than I am. In fact, Adler no longer makes home sewing machines. To call this machine "industrial strength" would be an understatement. I will put a picture of big green up in the future, but trust me when I say that this is not a machine for wimps. No free arm. No auto-button holer. No clear window to see your bobbin. Not easy to thread. But it worked, and it had all of the features I needed to get started.

We started with this pattern: Simplicity 2241: Learn to Sew Girl's and Child's dresses. I made it once with CP's help. Then she had me go home and work on it again, alone. She suggested I make it a few times so that I'd really have it down. The fact that I have twin daughters, whom I lovingly refer to as "my two divas," was very helpful. You'd think that the girls would not have been impressed with the idea of wearing handmade clothing, but instead, they were very excited. I made this pattern as a nightgown, so they had the opportunity to wear it, even if I made a mistake. And mistakes were made. But every time I made a mistake, I learned something new and I gained confidence. I learned that most mistakes can be fixed, and if they can't, well, you are less likely to make that mistake again!

After I got some practice making this particular pattern, I made a girl's dress with a zipper. And a girl's jacket. Then I got brave and made a fleece nightgown for myself. It was in that moment that I realized that sewing was the ticket for clothing for me. I had always purchased things to fit my largest part, and was ending up with clothing that was ill-fitting or I needed to spend a fair amount to get the clothing adjusted to my body. Yes, the gown was probably more expensive than anything I could buy, but I enjoyed the process and the quality was definitely better than a similarly priced "store brand." Most importantly, it was a true fit!

I still have "seminars" with CP, and but I've been exploring more on my own now. Plus now I have a new sewing machine, courtesy of my parents. I'm also taking classes on Craftsy.com, which have been very interesting and well-worth the cost.

So that's me, and I hope you'll follow me on my sewing adventures!
My first gown
The second gown:
 can you spot the mistake?

No comments:

Post a Comment